Children in Years 1 and 2 have regular fortnightly Forest School sessions and children in Reception have 'Explorer Days' which provide a gradual introduction to outdoor learning and the principles of Forest School.
Forest School is an inspirational process that offers our children unique opportunities to develop confidence and self-esteem and to enjoy exciting and hands-on learning experiences in our beautiful outdoor environment.
- Forest School is inclusive; it is for ALL children, and they ALL succeed!
- Forest School goes hand in hand with our exciting and creative curriculum
- Forest School builds upon each child's innate motivation and positive attitude to learning. offering them the opportunities to take risks, make choices and initiate their own learning
- Forest School maximises the potential of our outdoor environment through frequent and regular experiences during the year, not just a one-off visit. This ensures that the children are more aware of the changing seasons
- Forest School helps children to understand, appreciate and care for the natural environment
- Activities in the natural world provide excellent opportunities for physical, cognitive and emotional and social development.
Forest School sessions are carefully planned and led by Mrs Wheal, our qualified Forest School leader, with help from staff and volunteers. The adult to child ratio is intentionally high, to ensure that the children stay safe and get the most out of the sessions.The sessions are always planned to be outdoors in all weathers, apart from rare occasions when the wind is too dangerous, then we use our yurt and covered areas around the school. Children will be learning to take risks within a supportive environment and they will develop skills, such as problem solving, team work, resilience and creative thinking. They will have the opportunity to use simple tools, learn how to create pictures, patterns & models using a variety of resources and will work together on a variety of topics to develop team work and co-operation. The children will also become familiar with, and learn how to respect their natural environment and how that environment changes with the seasons.
Forest School is an excellent way to promote our school ethos of ‘Follow the Rainbow’.