When children join us, we have a comprehensive transition programme in place which usually includes
- Visits to/liaison with pre-school providers
- 'Stay and Play' sessions for children and parents
- Visits to school with others from children's pre-school providers
- Individual meetings with class teacher and TA
- First 'settling in' sessions at school in small groups
- Gradual introduction to whole class sessions and lunchtimes
- 'Six Weeks In' meetings for parents
When children leave us, they usually move on to Southbourne Junior School, which has the same catchment area and is adjoined to the Infant school. We work closely with the Junior School to ensure a smooth transition for children.
Parents still need to apply to WSCC for a place at the school, but both schools have 60 spaces per year group, so our children are usually allocated a place there.
We liaise with the Junior School to plan a well-organised programme of transition events, including various visits for the children and a meeting for parents.
You can contact the Junior school on 01243 375878 or firstname.lastname@example.org