Forest School Sessions
Children in Years 1 and 2 have regular fortnightly Forest School sessions which provide a gradual introduction to outdoor learning and some of the principles of Forest School.
Forest School is a provision that offers our children unique opportunities to develop confidence and self-esteem outdoors and to enjoy exciting and hands-on learning experiences in our beautiful environment.
- Forest School is inclusive; it is for ALL children, and they ALL succeed!
- Forest School enhances our curriculum
- Forest School builds upon each child's innate motivation and positive attitude to learning, offering them the opportunities to take risks, make choices and initiate their own learning
- Forest School maximises the potential of our outdoor environment through frequent and regular experiences during the year, not just a one-off visit. This ensures that the children are more aware of the changing seasons
- Forest School helps children to understand, appreciate and care for the natural environment
- Activities in the natural world provide excellent opportunities for physical, cognitive and emotional and social development.
Forest School sessions are always planned to be outdoors in all weathers, apart from rare occasions when the wind is too dangerous or the weather is too hot, then we use our yurt and covered areas around the school. Children will be learning to take risks within a supportive environment and they will develop skills, such as problem solving, team work, resilience and creative thinking. The children will also become familiar with, and learn how to respect their natural environment and how that environment changes with the seasons.
Click here to see what children need to wear for Forest School.